Monday, August 27, 2007

Tamarack's New Dog

Apparently, the business of selling fakelore, whites-can-be-Natives books is not making quite the blood money it used to, so Tamarack has decided to begin mining "Zen" for fun and profit.

We guess the Warrior Way website and the Wolf zoo he was hoping would draw in more suckers did not pan out. It would not surprise us if Tamarack closed the Teaching Drum as a wilderness guide program and re-opened it as a "Zen" monestary (money-stary) in the near future.

To: Teaching_drum@yahoogroups.com
From: "Tamarack Song"
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 08:49:40 -0500
Subject: [Teaching_Drum] Why Zen?

----- Original Message from Andrew------ --

Tamarack, you wrote: "It appears to me that any consolidated approach to spirituality will evolve similar structures: canons, hierarchy, and methodologies to assuage fear of death. If we want this type of medicine, it probably doesn't matter which one we pick, as they all do the same thing."
From this I wonder, why *have* you picked Zen then? What about Zen is different from these other consolidated approaches, to make it such an important part of your own discoveries?

Good morning Andrew,

Great question! In actuality, I have picked Oneness rather than Zen. When Jesus says we do not need to toil or reap because we are provided for, I am one with Jesus; when Buddha suggests we not worship likenesses of others, I am one with Buddha; when my neighbor looks up at the Moon and comments on how her moods change with the Mooncycle, I am one with her.

So why have I written a book on Zen? It is on Zen, the universal concept, rather than Zen, the religion. Knowing that language conveys culture, I did etymological research on the term "Zen," tracing it back to the Pali (pre-Sanskrit) culture of ancient India. The term, both then and now, simply means "awareness." Today the term can be found in most Eurasian and American cultures. "Sign" is our way of pronouncing "Zen," and what is a sign other than a way of increasing awareness?

Of course, in our materialist culture we have secularized the reading of a sign. And yet, even here in contemporary America, I can still be given a sign and it will be a profound, mystical experience.

So why have I written a book on Zen? Because it is a book on awareness. The term is merely a touchstone -- an awareness-raising tool. In the book I explain in detail what I have touched upon in the paragraphs above. I could have written the book on any of a hundred other topics and it would still be the same book, the same words.

If I can clarify more, give me a holler.

Tamarack

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. I've been posting links to your blog around on different message boards where I see lackeys from the Teaching Drum trying to get folks to shell over their dough to come play pretend. I don't know which is sicker, that this fellow runs a "school" like this or that folks are suckered hook, line and sinker on it. Please keep up the good work with your website here!

9/02/2007 1:24 PM  
Blogger Nemeses said...

Thanks Anonymous for all your efforts to bring more light to Tamarack's fraud.

It helps more than you know, and encouragment like yours really keeps us going!

We're all smiles today.

9/04/2007 4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home